Thursday, June 2, 2011

Deep Thoughts...by Lucy

During a recent car ride, Lucy mentioned she was excited for her upcoming birthday. This is the conversation that ensued.

Mommy: Lucy, you will always be my baby girl.
Lucy: No, I can’t Mommy. You have to give me food and water to grow. Then I need to grow up. That’s just how it works.
Me: Sobbing in the front seat.

*******************************************

Max and Lucy discussing the finer points to the plot of Despicable Me…

Max: Lucy, this movie is about a mean guy who tries to steal the moon from the sky.
Lucy: Oh, that is so bad. If that happened, and he stole the moon, I wouldn’t be able to bounce.
Max and Mommy: Huh?
Daddy: That’s right Lucy, if he took the moon, there would be no moon bounces.
Lucy: I KNOW! I would be so sad if he took the moon and we couldn’t bounce.

(I admit I am a bit afraid that Chris picked up on Lucy’s thought process without missing a beat.)

*******************************************

A story that I will be telling for years to come…Lucy and I waited in the car while Chris ran Max into a birthday party. Lucy was bouncing around the front seat in a sundress when he came back. This is what he noticed…

Daddy: Lucy, where’s your underwear!?!
Lucy: Oh no! I left it at Brady’s house at the party.
Mommy: Did you put your underwear back on after going to the bathroom at Brady’s house, Lucy?
Lucy: No, I forgot. We have to go back to get it.
Daddy: Lucy, there is no way I am going back to a strange boy’s house and asking for your underwear back.
Lucy: (Sobbing hysterically) I NEED my underwear. We have to go back.
Chris: I just aged 10 years. I don’t want to ever hear about you leaving your underwear at a boy’s house again.

At this point, I am laughing so hard, I am crying. A few points that make this story even better – we do not know Brady’s family AT ALL and our daughter is leaving her unmentionables in his bathroom. There was a moon bounce at the party. Lucy went on the moon bounce for several minutes – in a sundress – after said bathroom incident.

The next school day Lucy proceeds to ask Brady in front of the entire class if he found her underwear yet. I had several questions from the teacher at pick up that day. Brady’s mom also stopped me to ask if the underwear was Lucy’s…she said she assumed it was because it seems like something Lucy would do…good grief.

*******************************************

Lucy talking to her friend about the finer details of bike riding…

Lucy: Chelsea, if you get tired and need to stop, you can peddle backwards.
Chelsea: OK.
Lucy: I just wanted to let you know because I just learned that yesterday.

Lucy’s been riding a bike for two years…I have no idea how she managed to avoid learning this lesson until now.

*******************************************

Lucy and Gram discussing her black eye…

Gram: Lucy, what happened to your face?!?
Lucy: Oh, you know, accidents happen. Who knows…
Gram: You don’t know how you got a black eye?
Lucy: Maybe I feel down the deck stairs. You never know how these things happen. I’m just a mess.

I am expecting a call from Child Services any day now. For the record, she did fall on the deck stairs...in front of 10 witnesses.

*******************************************

Lucy and I discussing the male species…

Lucy: Mommy, when Charlie gets big will he smell?
Mommy: What? I don’t understand the question Lucy.
Lucy: Well, Daddy and Max are smelly boys. When Charlie grows up will he be a smelly boy too?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love that Chris totally understood Lucy!

Reba said...

I love that girl. She tickles me. The underwear story...oh my. You will NEVER forget that one!

Anonymous said...

Tears are running down my face I am laughing so hard over the underwear story.
Chris J