Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Every school year, I recited the same answer to the age-old question of "What are you thankful for this year?" It was always my parents. I never thought much beyond this comfortable, socially acceptable answer. Obviously, my parents are still prominent on my list. As I became older, I realized that it is easy to be thankful for family and friends. However, it is often the little things in life that makes it easier to treasure family and friends even more.

*I am grateful for a job that allows me the flexibility to be both a mom and have a meaningful career. I rarely have to miss a school event, such as today's Thanksgiving feast. As frustrating as some days in the office can be, the fact that I work for an organization that places family first makes it all worthwhile.

*Our van...as silly as it sounds, it allows us to bring friends with us on playdates making the day even more fun.

*A neighborhood full of kids and neighbors that are true friends. Seeing the kids run and play together each warm summer evening brings back happy memories of my childhood. I remember playing the same playground games that they play each night, such as Freeze Tag.

*Max and Lucy's teachers allow us to feel as if we spent the entire day with our children. Nothing is more endearing to a parent than walking into the classroom at the end of a busy day and hearing about something funny or a sweet action that their child did that day.

*A finished basement that is often the staging ground for many basketball games between PopPop and Max. It provides these two best buddies the opportunity to play freely and have fun without fear of making a mess or breaking something.

*Our proximately to one of the nation's best children's hospitals is something that I do not think I could ever adequately express my gratitude for...when Max was first diagnosed with EE, CHOP was one of two institutions in the entire country that was diagnosing and treating this newer disorder. There is rarely a day that goes by that I do not give thanks for this fact. Had we lived anywhere else, Max would have endured more pain waiting for a diagnosis and we would have been forced to make the decision to pay exorbitant out-of-network fees for the necessary medical care.

*Scrapbooking...Chris is probably laughing at this one (or rolling his eyes!). To be honest, I am fretfully behind on scrapbooking, but the fact that I attempt to keep up means that I get to dedicate a few days each year to spending time with lifelong girlfriends and remembering sweet times in our lives.

As we prepare for the annual Thanksgiving feast at our home, I hope that tomorrow is just one day in a year-long celebration of everything that allows us to be the happiest family possible.

1 comment:

Reba said...

I love your list...sounds like you do have a LOT to be thankful for. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!