Sunday, November 15, 2009

Milestones

From the moment a child is born, their early years are marked by a series of milestones...first smile, first time rolling over, first tooth, first steps, first words. Each one of Max and Lucy's milestones is etched in my mind and the thought of them brings back warm, happy memories. This week we reached another monumentous milestone...first lost tooth! As Max told me of the happy news (the tooth falling out was a highly anticipated event for him), my mind instantly flashed back to October 31, 2004. I remembered holding Max in my arms and seeing a tiny little tooth popping through his gummy smile. I remember his infectious laugh that day as we danced around the kitchen celebrating. His smile today still warms my heart as much as those early days...now it just looks a little more like a jack-o-lantern!

I think there was also a little divine intervention working hard on my behalf...the only night I was home this week was Tuesday...the same day his tooth fell out. Although I got home too late from the airport on Tuesday to actually see my baby sans tooth before he tucked it safely under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy, I will never forget waking up to Max charging in our bedroom with his toothless smile and the present from the Tooth Fairy...four quarters and a note thanking him for the beautiful tooth. Another memory to warm a mother's heart for years to come.

1 comment:

Reba said...

Oh, congrats to Max. I think I cried with that first tooth coming out...it really is such a milestone! I have a feeling we will be having another one of those in the next year or so with Maria...