20 weeks. Every pregnant woman knows what the milestone of 20 weeks represents - halfway. Halfway to meeting the newest family member in person. To help us get through the second half of pregnancy, it usually means meeting the newest family member on a television screen in the form of an ultrasound. May 7th was our day. When I scheduled the appointment in the beginning of April, it felt like an eternity away. The business of spring helped the time go quickly and before we realized it, we were on our way to the hospital on Friday, May 7th to peek at our baby. We had told Max that we hoped to find out if the baby was a boy or girl...he was convinced it was a boy. I think he was in denial that he could possibly have another sister!
During my mid-pregnancy ultrasound with Max, all I could think about was finding out if the baby I was growing was a boy or girl. The thought that something could be wrong never crossed my mind. I guess motherhood changes you - as the tech started our ultrasound this time, all I could do was hope and pray for a healthy baby. Our hopes were answered when a clean bill of health was given to our baby. Albeit, a very active, playful, sometimes uncooperative baby. And, yes, a much less significant prayer was answered when we found out it was a boy. I literally had NO IDEA how we were going to break the news to Max if the baby was a girl.
I was so excited to tell Max about our news...luckily it was Mother's Day Tea at school so I was able to see him a few hours earlier than normal. Upon entering his classroom, he jumped up, ran to my belly and begged me to tell him the news. His reaction to hearing he was going to have a little brother was priceless - he yelled "Thank you" about 15 times and told me he couldn't stop hugging me and the baby. I don't think he stopped smiling all afternoon.
Lucy, on the other hand, chose a much different approach. When I told her the news, she replied, quite matter-of-factly, "I already knowed that." Lucy did ramp up her excitement the next day while her and I were out shopping for a baby shower present. Lucy picked up every boy outfit should could find in the store, lifted my shirt and asked the baby if he liked the outfit. She insisted that we buy her "brudder" some clothes. So, Charlie is now the proud owner of monkey pajamas and a baseball onsie.
I honestly couldn't be happier that come September we will be the parents of another son. Max has his wish come true, Charlie will have an incredible big brother as a role model and Lucy will always be my little girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"active, playful, and sometimes uncooperative"? Sounds close to another Lucy! ;)
Awesome! I'm so happy for you guys!
So fun! I love both kids' reactions. I have a feeling your house is going to be a fun place (even more so I should say) in a few months!
Post a Comment