Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's off to work I go...

Fifteen years ago I went home and broke the news that I wanted to switch my college major from biology/pre-med to sociology. While my parents were supportive, the news begged the question "what are you going to do with that major?". To be honest, I hadn't a clue. All I knew was that I took an Introduction to Sociology class and was sold. It was the first time I felt as if I had found my passion. It was the perfect combination of research and interaction with people. As I sit in my hotel room on another business trip, I cannot fathom how I got from there to here, but I am definitely happy the journey that simple change of majors has taken me.

The personal highlight of my job is when I have an opportunity to do field research. And, some of that research has been quite the adventure! I have conducted focus groups with children from around the country, including on Native American reservations in Montana and Arizona, the ganglands of LA, the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska and right in my own backyard – funny thing is that kids are kids no matter where they live.

Other memorable research outings have included observing a drag show contest, interviewing newly parenting adolescents, touring retail distribution centers (while jumping out of the way of speeding forklifts), gathering information from women using inner city prenatal clinics and visiting corrections facilities (AKA the Big House) while 7 months pregnant.

And, of course, no field research project is complete with some travel war stories. I have driven through tornadoes, been delayed for days, eaten at far too many truck stops, lost rental car keys in a Walmart in the middle of Missouri and had the threat of deportation back to the United States bestowed upon me (as was the case tonight). While stressful at the time, it always makes for a good laugh a few hours (or days) later.

Do I miss my family when I travel? Of course, but as I drop my suitcases at the door after each trip and breathe a sigh of relief that I have arrived home safely, I more fully appreciate the life I have been given and the family that shares it with me. I have had opportunities to interact with people from around the country and the world. I have seen places I could only have imagined. I have listened as people share their heartbreaking stories of staying a job they dislike just so they can provide a better life for their family. I have cried after spending hours with children that have never left their neighborhood and probably never will in their lifetime. I have formed priceless friendships with co-workers as we navigated often turbulent skies and roads. And I wouldn’t change a thing – sitting at a desk is pretty boring day in and day out!

3 comments:

Reba said...

Wow! I had NO idea what kind of work you do! Sounds like an incredible job full of neat experiences. I am a bit curious about why they threatened deportation...what exactly are you doing? :) If you ever come to NWA, let me know. :)

Kathy said...

Guess you needed to find the positive after almost being kicked out of Canada! It's nice to have such a passion for your job! :)

renee said...

never knew you were pre-med!