We recently had Lucy’s semi-annual parent-teacher conference – what a difference a year makes. Last year, we were concerned with Lucy’s ability to make friends and socialize. This year, she is the social butterfly of the class. Our hearts were warmed when her teachers told us she is the first to invite others to play when they have no friends. It usually takes us quite some time to leave at the end of every school day because Lucy insists on hugging every teacher and friend in site. She freely proclaims her love for everyone she knows – Lucy’s teacher told us that she gives daily hugs to teachers and friends all the while commenting that they are beautiful.
Her clothes are often times mismatched – the more patterns and color the better. I like to think that she is trying to spread some sunshine to the dreary days of winter. I don’t complain, though, because she independently gets herself dressed and undressed each day. Her hair usually resembles Einstein’s – but it seems fitting given she is a bit absent-minded.
One of the funniest lines Lucy has (and there are many) is heard when she is getting prepared to hold Charlie. She scoots herself into the back of the couch and asks Charlie “are you ready for Big Sister?” It always makes me wonder what she has planned that he needs to prepare himself. Lucy has taken to her role as a Big Sister wonderfully. We never dealt with any jealousy or behavior issues – I think Lucy was so excited to help us and have a living doll that she never viewed Charlie as taking time away from her. Her favorite task is picking out Charlie’s diaper – she meticulously looks through the entire stack to find just the right Sesame Street character for his bottom!
Whenever Lucy cannot be found, simply be quiet and listen for the singing. There is a song in her heart and most days it is being belted out at the top of her lungs. She has an uncanny ability to remember the lines to songs after hearing them only once.
Lucy has made great strides in school this year – she now can write and sound out most letters and writes her own name. Her interest in reading continues and she now pretends to read books. The first few years, I was constantly comparing Max and Lucy’s milestones – then I realized they are so very different. Max may have been writing his letters at 2 and reading by 4, but he has yet to learn to let loose and have fun.
If more people lived life the way Lucy does, I am pretty sure the world would be a happier, more carefree place – albeit a bit mismatched. I may be the parent, but Lucy has taught me an invaluable lesson – you only get one life, so have fun living it!
3 comments:
Love this post! Anytime I see her, I smile too...she just has a sunshine quality about her. What a fun girl...I look forward to seeing where she goes in life with her vibrant personality. Maybe one day she and Joshua can meet (when he has matured a bit)...I imagine they could have a lot of fun together!
Such a perfect description of our girl!! Love the pictures, too!!!
What beautiful thoughts, Patti. I can't believe she's 3 1/2 already!
Post a Comment