Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Charlie: Two Months

Dear Charlie...

Our family has been blessed with you for two months. This past month, we have shared in many firsts. Our first family outing to an apple orchard. Your first Halloween…be prepared for more embarrassing costumes next year. Mommy’s first night away from you. Your first smile…and the cute little chuckle behind it. Daddy’s first stint as a stay-at-home parent…you may have gotten spoiled to the point of no return because now you refuse to nap anywhere but snuggled in a warm embrace. Daddy and Mommy even snuck out to our first dinner without you…of course we talked about you the whole time.

When I was pregnant, everyone told me that the third child is easy. I don’t know if it is easy, but I do know that I am a much different parent than I was with your brother and sister. I look at your brother and cannot fathom how he is six years old already. I feel like just yesterday I was holding him in my arms. I also remember wishing away each stage in hopes of the next. I wished he would hurry up and walk so I didn’t have to carry him. I wished he would hurry up and talk so I wouldn’t have to guess his needs. I wished he would hurry up and make friends so I didn’t always have to entertain him. In all of my looking forward to the next “thing”, I forgot to enjoy the present. You have taught me to laugh at, and sometimes even enjoy, the complete chaos that usually surrounds us. The house may be a wreck, your sister’s hair may have paint in it from two days ago, Max’s homework may have scribbles from younger siblings on it and we may have eaten chicken nuggets for dinner three nights in a row but at the end of most days, I go to bed with a huge smile on my face thinking about the fun times the day brought. And, I have yet to wish for one “thing” from you. Except maybe a few more hours of sleep.





Love,
Mommy and Daddy

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Cannot wait for some baby fixes on Sunday!

Reba said...

Oh my goodness. I just want to rock him for a while. He is so precious. I love your post. I love the way you put it. It isn't that they are easier (the later kiddos)...in fact, I know in our house they are not. But I am a different parent. That and more worn out. :) Enjoy each moment. The next thing you know, their 12th birthday is here...