Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time for Pampering

For two years, I persevered with strangers referring to Lucy as a boy simply because she did not have any hair. I tried clips and bows and headbands and pink dresses and flowery shirts…it never seemed to deter the boy comments. But, right around her second birthday, her hair started growing…and it never stopped. What started as blonde peach fuzz turned into a beautiful head of perfect ringlets. There was no denying she was all girl!

All those ringlets started posing an issue over the past six months. Like most things, Lucy has a strong opinion about personal grooming. She prefers to go without. Curly hair that is not groomed looks like a poodle that has been left in the rain. After several weeks of tears trying to detangle after every bath, I decided it was time for a haircut. I think I was more nervous about Lucy’s first haircut than any of Max’s surgeries! I just did not think she was going to cooperate…sitting still in a chair while a stranger waved sharp shears near her face…I sensed disaster. I could not have been more wrong…Lucy was a complete angel during the haircut – a diva in fact! Upon leaving the salon, she asked me to go home and paint her nails. I may have a prissy little girl on my hands after all!

Of course, any big first deserves to be captured for all eternity in pictures. Her before pictures:


Her after pictures:


I can trim her hair and paint her nails, but there is no polishing her silliness.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

holy cow! I can't believe how long it got!

Reba said...

Love it. I am so jealous of her ringlets...