Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another notch in his illness belt...

Recently, I realized that Max had gone two entire months without a doctor's appointment...the longest in his lifetime. His doctor-free streak came to an end yesterday. He is now the owner of a new diagnosis...scarlet fever. Yep, our little angel cannot get a simple case of strep throat...he has to take it up a notch and get scarlet fever. We had a feeling something was brewing for some time...Max has been, shall we say, challenging, the past week. Everything had become a battle, he wasn't sleeping well and his emotions were all over the place. When Max gets sick, his behavior is the first thing to go so we knew it was only a matter of time before the mystery illness behind the eratic behavior reared its ugly head.

His fevers were running as high as 104 the past few days, but they seem to have come down considerably today. His face, however, is still covered in a reddish, sunburn-looking rash - which we are told will begin to peel in the next week - so we will have a reptile on our hands for a bit. The worst part of this whole mess seems to be sleeping. Max was up all night screaming, kicking and crying all night. He is experiencing a lot of stomach pain which the antibiotics are probably not helping. So, we are crossing our fingers that he can make it through enough of the antibiotic treatment to kill off the strep yet leave his GI system in tact.

Chris and I were planning on going away for the weekend but those plans are on hold for now. It is such a tough decision...obviously, if Max doesn't improve, we won't be going. But, even if he does get better, there is always a chance that he will begin reacting to the antibiotics. If it were just Chris and I going, I would happily reschedule...but we are planning on going away with our closest group of college friends. I know Gram and PopPop are more than capable of caring for the little people but I don't want to worry them if something should happen. Decisions, decisions!

Until next time, keep your fingers crossed that our children do not resurrect any more 18th century illnesses!

3 comments:

Murph said...

I hope you are keeping notes - someday this would make a great book. Or a TV show - mystery illnesses of a 5 year old!

Reba said...

Poor little guy! Poor Mom and Dad! I remember having a student once with scarlet fever...I remember being so surprised because I thought that it was an "ancient", long gone illness. I didn't realize it was just basically strep throat a step further. No fun though for any of you. I do hope you get to have your weekend away...those times are so very important for everyone. Have a good weekend no matter where!

Megan said...

I am so sorry he and you had to go through this. Praying that this was a once in a lifetime event.