Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Goose!

The fact I am posting about our own daughter's birthday two days late is one slight indication of how crazy this past week has been for our family. Max was finished school and camp doesn't start until Monday, so we drove all over creation each day shuttling him from friend to family for childcare. We are very grateful to everyone who helped us out, but we are also very excited for our regular routine to start on Monday!

In the craziness of the past week, our little girl turned two. We managed to sneak a few minutes of celebrating in on Thursday night...complete with cupcakes and singing. Lucy is still serenading herself two days later...while waiting for breakfast this morning, she starting singing "Happy Irthday Ucy! Happy Irthday to Eww!"

Since I use this blog as a scrapbook, I thought I would write down some of the things I hope to remember about Lucy. Lucy has been independent from the day she was born...including insisting she couldn't wait to make her entrance into the world...clearly she thinks the world revolves around her. And, most times, we oblige!

Some of Lucy's favorite things these days are eating and asking to eat. She tends to pick up random food off the floor and taste it. We have noticed lately that there are often particles of food stuck to her clothing hours after she has eaten...we think she likes to keep a stash handy for when she gets a craving. Her newest thing is eating a piece of food that someone gives her and then asking after eating it "What's that Daddy?"

Lucy's vocabulary is expanding every day...she loves to ask the "W" questions..."Where's Maxi?", "Who that Mommy?", "Why Mommy?".

Socialization with people her own size isn't really Lucy's thing...she prefers to play by herself or with adults...although I have noticed her wanting to be with Max more frequently.

Lucy's relationship with Max is special. She calls him "Maxi" and she completely adores him. She loves to give him hugs and kisses at night. The relationship is mutual...Max is so patient and caring with Lucy...we hope they always stay as close as they are now...he is the protective big brother and Lucy will probably need a little protection (from herself) as she gets older.

While Max was a calm, well-behaved toddler, Lucy has a slightly more energetic take on life. She loves to climb, jump and generally find trouble. She detests shopping and she lets everyone in the store know that she detests shopping.

A person with a book is a fast friend to Lucy. The girl loves to read...she often carries books with her around the house. She is already starting to memorize her favorite books.


Lucy and her crib share a great relationship. We definitely got spoiled with Goose. We read her one book at bedtime and she just lays down. We rarely hear from her again until the morning.


My favorite physical characteristic of Lucy at this moment is her curly hair. It took almost 18 months for her to grow any hair and now she has a full head of ringlets. They just suit her personality. My favorite personality trait is her fearlessness. I think it will suit her well later in life. I tend to be a more reserved person and Max is a very cautious individual...Lucy wouldn't know caution if it hit her in the face...she would probably run right by it! I hope this trait will mean Lucy will live life to its fullest.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea!

3 comments:

Murph said...

Love how red her hair is geting too!
Hope you had a great day, Lucy. We love you!
Aunt Kathy, Uncle Paul and Rudy

Reba said...

Happy Late birthday, Lucy! I love to read about your fun personality. I am more like your mom's personality so I admire those who grab life with gusto! I have a feeling that you and Joshua would have a WHOLE lot of fun together!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday Miss Lucy!!!