When I picked Max up from school on Monday, his teacher immediately came over to me to tell me about their afternoon circle time. The entire class had to share who or what they were thankful for with the rest of the class. Every child, but Max, mentioned their parents. At this point in the story I was just hoping Max did not share that he was thankful for hot dogs or baseball. Max told the class that he was most thankful for Lucy. I just about lost it...I could feel the tears welling up. His teacher explained that Max usually talks about Lucy a lot and she always knew that he really loved his little sister. But, she was surprised at how articulate Max was when describing his feelings about Lucy. He told the class that big brothers should take care of their little sisters and help them feel better when they cry. He also said he gets sad when Lucy cries because he wants her to always be happy. Max ended his story by sharing that he was looking forward to Lucy growing up so he could teach her how to ride a bike and play baseball.
After circle time, the kids made certificates of appreciation for the people they mentioned. Lucy is now the proud owner of a colorful certificate from Max. The certificate includes a spot to write some favorite things about the relationship with the person. Max chose to write "I like to make Lucy feel better." He also said "I like to bring Lucy books when she cries."
When Lucy joined our family, we thought we were teaching Max what it meant to be a big brother...be nice to the baby, don't touch the baby with dirty hands, help feed the baby, share your toys, etc. Those lessons seem so simplistic and unimportant to what it really means to be a big brother. This Thanksgiving, I am grateful that Max understands what it means to REALLY be a sibling. Max certainly has his moments, but at the end of the day, he is a loving, caring brother and son who makes us beam with pride.
Chris and I are very thankful for Lucy, as well. But, then again, who wouldn't be thankful to have this turkey in their lives...
3 comments:
wow...kids can really blow your mind!
My nephew is such a sweetheart! And the little turkey is awesome too!
Come on! How sweet is he!
Post a Comment