Friday, November 14, 2008

Sometimes it just isn't worth it...

A mom celebrates many "first" events...first tooth, first hug, first steps...today we celebrated Lucy's first public temper tantrum. That's right...screaming, thrashing, throwing back of the head...the works. I know I will jinx myself by saying this, but we have not really had many public instances of such behavior with Little Miss's older brother. Max prefers to bottle his anger for the times at home.

Lucy woke up very congested again this morning, so I thought it was time to purchase a humidifier. Max is forbidden by every doctor we have seen to have one because of his severe mold allergy, so we have managed to go 4 years without one. My need for a humidifier coupled with the Kohl's coupon staring at me on the counter the entire day gave me the motivation to leave the house on a rainy, dreary day. I did think that I might be pushing my luck because Goose had not taken a nap yet, but I thought I had an hour until we reached the point of no return. I was wrong. The point of no return came in the middle of Kohl's when I told Lucy she could not suck on the bottom of her shoes. Apparently, this was the last straw of an already somewhat iffy trip up to this point...crying when she was put in the stroller, whining when I moved her away from the racks of clothes, etc.

When I took the shoe out of Lucy's hand and explained it was dirty, she looked at me with a look that no good can come from, put her bottom lip out and screamed. And screamed. And screamed. I tried everything I had to bribe her...her cup, food, holding something. Nothing was working and she was getting more mad by the second. After quickly realizing that this was not going to end unless there was a crib and a nap involved, I made my way to the front door. Then came the fun part of carrying her out to the car...in the pouring rain. It was not a pretty sight...she was thrashing and wailing and banging heads with me for the entire walk to the car...which seemed like it was a mile away. Once we got the car, the fun really started. It took me a good 10 minutes to get her in the car seat. I really contemplated stopping by the hardware store to get duct tape for the next time I need to get her in the car seat in the middle of a tantrum.

As I write this, Goose is still not sleeping...she is upstairs protesting her nap...loudly. It has now turned into a battle of wills in this house today. I am determined to win this one...or at least keep her upstairs until Daddy gets home.

The lesson of the day has been learned..and quite well..sometimes a coupon just isn't worth it.

1 comment:

renee said...

a kohl's coupon is hard to turn down - i totally understand your decision even if lulu didn't agree!