Saturday, November 8, 2008

What a week...

I can't believe a week has gone by since my last post...but what a week it has been! A lot has been happening in our neck of the woods...some exciting and some I could live without. Chris started a new job on Monday...which involved him going to NYC for a few days at the beginning of the week. I was prepared for a few hectic days getting the kids dropped off and picked up by myself. Monday started out quite well...we were all showered, dressed and out the door by 7 AM...which will be our new target time to get out the door each day. Chris' new job is over an hour away and my commute generally takes an hour and half...luckily Max is an early riser and loves trying to be one of the first kids at school...Lucy just goes with the flow so life isn't too bad in the morning. By Monday afternoon, however, things started going downhill...fast. Lucy's school called to tell me she had a fever and wasn't acting "herself"...and by "herself", I think they meant running around like a wild woman...she actually just wanted to lay down all day. Turns out she had a double ear infection...lovely timing, Goose. We still managed to get Max picked up by 5:45.

Monday night Max slept in bed with me since it was Dancing with the Stars...looking back, I should have known that something was up when he fell asleep at 8:15...before his favorites even danced! He had a horrible night coughing and choking...Tuesday we started his asthma meds. I can sense this isn't going to end easily with a few extra puffs of medicine, but at this point, I was still keeping my fingers crossed. Tuesday night, I go to change Lucy's diaper and she has the worst diaper rash I have ever seen...it was a bloody, blistery mess...call the peds and conclude it is probably from the antibiotics. And, yes, for those of you wondering, the peds office can recognize my voice on the phone...it is quite embarassing but it also gets me to a doctor quicker!At this point, Chris is on his way home from the train station...which is perfect timing because Lucy literally won't stop screaming enough for me to put medicine on her.

Wednesday was Chris' first day in the office and I was nervous to see how long it takes him to get in and drive home...all I kept thinking was that I am going to have to both drop offs and pick ups each day if it is too bad. By the end of the week, we figure out that he can drop off Max most mornings, which is a big help. However, pick ups are still going to have to be mostly me since he doesn't get in until after 6 now. Unfortunately, this means that the kids are at school most days from 7:15 until 5:30-5:45. Which also means that by the time we walk in the door at 6, Lucy is screaming because she is exhausted and hungry. Needless to say, the evenings have not been pleasant in our house this week! We also need to figure out a better system for dinner...poor Lucy had chicken nuggets every night this week because she needed to eat the minute we walked in the door. And, since there are very few "fast" dinner options for Max, he ended up eating after 7 each night.

Anywho...on to the adventures today brought...last night, I was thinking was a nice, relaxing weekend it would be...we have a birthday party for a neighbor tonight and Max's teacher is babysitting which Max has been looking forward to all week. The kids apparently didn't get the memo that sickies not allowed on days with a babysitter. Max was up all night last night coughing...to the point at 4 AM, he asked if he could watch TV in bed because he couldn't sleep and couldn't stop coughing. I actually felt so bad for him...he kept saying "I just want to sleep. Why can't I stop coughing?" None of his asthma meds worked last night, so I knew we had to take him in this morning to get looked at. While I am on the phone making his appointment to be seen today, Chris walks in to Lucy's room and finds that she has thrown up all over crib...and she continued to throw up all morning and now has a fever. Max, it turns out, has croup...so he is on steriods...which always means lots of hyperness...good times around our house! The saddest part is that Lucy hasn't throw up in an hour so I am starting to contemplate if we really could still go tonight...the party is right down the block...I know what I should do, but I also know what I want to do after the week we had...

3 comments:

renee said...

all i can say is wow. that's a LONG week!

Anonymous said...

I have the same dinner issue. We can comisserate on this one. My solution is to cook big meals on Saturday and Sunday so that there are leftovers for Monday and tuesday - just heat and serve. But that still leaves 3 days of stress . . . .

Chris

Megan said...

Wow, just wow! You guys had a week that is for sure. I hope that everybody gets feeling better soon. I know what you mean about doing what you should do as opposed to what you want to do. The girls are spending next weekend away and I am praying that everyone stays nice and healthy. I love them with all that I am, but Momma needs a minute!

Chris congrats on the new job!