Yes, it is 8:30 on New Year's Eve and I am snuggled in my PJ's with a computer firmly planted on my lap...what a difference a few years makes! I am not suggesting by any means that I ever had a wild and crazy NYE celebration worthy of news coverage. But as I sit here, I can't help but think of what a difference half a decade makes...5 short years...
Half a decade ago, I planned my NYE festivities weeks ahead, now I plan mid-morning playdates on NYE.
Half a decade ago, I would have told you Hannah Montana was a place in a western state, now I understand that Hannah Montana is not a place, but rather a person...a very cool person according to Max.
Half a decade ago, my internet searches consisted of happening bars and vacation destinations, now my searches include childhood illnesses and family-friendly activities.
Half a decade ago, I was mildly annoyed when I got stuck behind a school bus on the way to work, now I fight off conflicted feelings of excitement and sadness realizing that Max will be boarding that bus next year.
Half a decade ago, I wasted time at work never caring how late I left, now I run out the door knowing an extra five minutes at the office is five less minutes at home.
Half a decade ago, world events were a passing thought, now I think constantly about the world in which we are raising our children and can only hope that we are raising a generation that is much more kind and peaceful than we have proven ourselves to be.
Half a decade ago, I had a clean house but an empty spot in my heart, now I have a full heart and dirty house...and I am okay with it.
Half a decade ago, I thought I understood what unconditional love was, now I am certain what it means...tucking your children in at night and giving them an extra kiss no matter how disrepectful they were, the messes the made, the dinners they turned their noses up at and the protests they made at bedtime.
Half a decade ago, I didn't think it was possible to love Chris any more, now I watch him teach our children about life and realize my love can only get stronger each day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So very true...except it might be one decade for me. I am old though. :) Have a very happy new year!
It is true about babies changing everything, tonight I had to rush someone off the phone b/c Lily peed on the floor! Not too long ago I longed for that!!
Post a Comment