Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Not Worth the Fight

When I was pregnant with Max, I would look around and see kids wearing their PJ's to the grocery store, carrying 15 blankets everywhere, wearing slippers to the playground or other random acts of childhood stubborness. I used to shake my head and think about the lack of parenting those kids must have. Then Max came along...and to my suprise, my outlook completely changed. My new motto quickly became "It's not worth the fight". Last Friday was a perfect example of how simple things just aren't worth the fight anymore. Max insisted he was freezing in the house and needed to wear his winter coat to play. Mind you, he did have a short sleeve T-shirt on and refused to wear a weather-appropriate sweatshirt. A year or two ago, I probably would have dug my heels in and had an in-depth conversation with him about why you do not wear jackets inside. A funny thing happened sometime the past few years...I realized there are much more important battles that lie ahead...why waste all my good arguments on jackets! In letting the small things go, I realize how much happier Max and I are together. I am sure when he starts asking for ear piercings and mohawks I may start to rethink my reasoning of just letting things go!


No comments: