Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Fanatic

It is no secret that Max is a sports nut. He watches the Phillies faithfully every day they play - to the point that Chris now tapes the game that are on during the day so Max can watch them over and over when he gets home from school. The minute Max wakes up in the morning, he hops out of bed, runs into our room to say hi and speeds downstairs to turn on SportsCenter. The boy ALWAYS has a ball, bat or glove in his hand.

I had no idea exactly how deep his sports enthusiasm ran until last Friday. The Olympics kicked off on Friday night. Our TV has not been off since Saturday morning. In the past five days, we have watched beach volleyball, handball, swimming, gymnastics, diving, boxing, wrestling, horse dressage (or, as Max calls it, horse dancing) and equestrian (or, as Max calls it, horse obstacle course).

Max's ability to pick up the rules of each sport is, quite simply, unbelievable. He has the entire game figured out in the time it takes me to just figure out who is playing. Also unbelievable is his ability to work the remote. He has now mastered channel surfing. He knows exactly what channels are showing Olympic events and is able to flip between all three without hesitation. A true male.

Max's poor friends are suffering from his Olympic obsession, though. He stormed out of the house after dinner on Monday night begging his neighborhood friends to join him in a game of handball. They all looked at him like he was crazy. When they starting throwing the playground ball back and forth to each other, Max tried teaching them the rules of handball. Unfortunately, when his friends got frustrated, they stopped playing and Max couldn't find any takers for a game of handball, so he resorted to riding bikes with Chris.

We have taken this opportunity to also begin teaching Max about different countries. He started asking several questions about "Bee-Jing" this past weekend. I explained that it is a city in China. Without skipping a beat, Max says "Oh, so they eat Chinese food in Bee-Jing." We are hoping that his cultural knowledge base expands as quickly as his sports knowledge - he definitely has a way to go in the culture and world history department.

3 comments:

Murph said...

When he was here last weekend, I was trying to explain where Korea was. I had to pull out the globe for a visual - then I also had to give more of a geography lesson because there were so many follow up questions. The boy is just a sponge! My nephew is so smart. :)

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

Hey Patti,
Max & Lucy are soooooo cute!!!! I take it Max has an egg allergy (among others?). My son, Garrett, has one too (and peanuts and a whole slew of environmental ones). Good to "see" you and read about your babes!!

Anonymous said...

I went into hysterics at Max's description of the "horse sports" -- I have been up past one every night with them myself; maybe I can keep up with Max in my knowldge when we we get to OBX.

Grandpa